• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Slipped Disc, Can I still workout?

TheAdjustment

Bluelighter
Two days ago I was at the gym doing and ended up slipping my C5 - C6 disc. I think it was while I was doing shrugs but not sure. I have yet to get a MRI but the doctor told me it's more than likely that I have a slipped disc and I just need an MRI to confirm.

C5 - C6 (C6 nerve root) - Can cause weakness in the biceps (muscles in the front of the upper arms) and wrist extensor muscles. Numbness and tingling along with pain can radiate to the thumb side of the hand. This is one of the most common levels for a cervical disc herniation to occur.
Source

I feel no pain as of now, just numbness in my left lower hand and my left arm. Anyone have any experience with this or know anything about slipped disc? I kinda just want to figure out two things:

1. What exercises can I do?
2. Will this heal itself and go back to being 100% normal? Or will this stay with me the rest of my life?

**Edit: I'm 5' 11" 162 pounds, low body fat.

Last edited:
If you work out you're probably going to do more damage. Just wait for the MRI and rest.

Man it drives me crazy not being able to go to the gym. I could finally run 3 miles in 24 minutes and do leg press sets of 518LBS. I need to workout in order to ward off depression. I can still grip and hold things with my left hand, I wonder how bad it could be to use hand grippers like Heavy Grips, I got a couple sets of those.

I'm not like massively muscular or anything I just need the workout to not be so stressed out and down. It just blows how I was making such good progress then something like this happens. I have to wait a couple weeks for an MRI, I pay out the ass for insurance so I'm glad I'm at least able to get one.

Since there is probable nerve damage I have started taking soy lecthin in conjunction with higher doses of Omega 3 fish oil in hopes that the fish oil will allow the nutrients in the lecthin to get to my nerves faster. Is a slipped disc a permanent condition or has anyone known one to fully recover and go back to the gym without surgery?

I've had friends/family who have slipped discs in their backs and none needed surgery and all made a full recovery but were unable to work out for sometime (it was a long time ago so i don't remember how long). I'm no doctor tho... When i have hurt my back the most important part of recovery was through my physio and the exercises they gave me + light massage. I was able to use the bike at the gym but nothing else, and it does still play up from time to time (not a slipped disc tho, crackes in spine and juvenile arthritis).

I can't get an MRI for about 2 weeks. It really sucks I can't workout but I guess it is what it is. Do you think exercising forearms like using hand grippers would be okay? I'm trying to find anything to workout. Without the workout the depression gets pretty shitty, I've found myself in the bar each night since this has happened spending wreckless amounts of money which I would normally be spending on supplements.

I've looked info up on the net but just found basic info and conflicting information if my neck will ever be the same again or if I have to live with this the rest of my life. Has anyone heard of spinal decompression? I've never been to a chiropractor and someone was telling me this may be a good idea (of course after I get an MRI).

OP,

A slipped disc is a herniated disc. The discs in your spine are composed of a hard outer-layer, the annulus fibrosis, and a gel-like inner core, the nucleus fibrosis. The nerves that innervate your hands, arms, feet, legs, etc., connect to your spine. So when the herniated nucleus either impinges directly on a nerve in the spine, or causes inflammation that puts pressure on the nerve, it can cause everything from numbness or tingling to severe pain.

Over time, the herniated portion of the nucleus will likely be absorbed, taking pressure off the nerve, and reducing inflammation. The ruptured portion of the annulus will scar over, but will never be as strong as it was previously.

So, in the meantime, your best course of treatment is conservative treatment. Don't do any exercise that will put pressure on that disc, or require you to execute quick movements that will jar it around. For psychological purposes, very moderate exercise will still do the trick. You can take some time off from hard running and lifting. ASK YOUR DOCTOR what types of exercises are acceptable. Until you hear from him, keep it very, very light. I would refrain from just about everything except walking.

If you push hard right now, you'll lengthen the time it takes for you to recover, and you'll exacerbate the injury. If you exacerbate it enough, you can do serious damage to the nerve.

Frequently, pretty large doses of ibuprofen are prescribed in the first days or weeks following a herniation, as it will reduce inflammation and inhibit TNF. But, again, ask your doctor.

Eventually, you'll be able to return to the gym. The injury will be healed, but will be vulnerable, and you'll likely need to make some adjustments to your routine. If you do a search for workout routines for people with cervical disc herniation, you should find some good ones.

The best advice I can give you is to not screw around this. It's not like a muscle injury, or anything you can just "push through" as it takes time to heal. Be conservative and careful.